Scotland’s first minister has defended guidance issued to schools on how to deal with violent and aggressive behaviour from pupils amid criticism a stricter approach is required to “restore discipline”.
The Scottish government published new guidance earlier this week following calls from teachers for help to tackle the issue.
In her foreword, Education Secretary Jenny Gilruth said that exclusion should only be used as a “last resort”.
The guidance aims to focus on improving outcomes by “reinforcing positive behaviour and working to reduce the likelihood of negative behaviour occurring in future”.
It comes after a survey by the NASUWT union in March found 83% of members believed pupil violence and aggression had increased in the last year.
At First Minister’s Questions on Thursday, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives said violent and disruptive behaviour in schools “is getting worse”.
MSP Russell Findlay added: “A small minority of pupils prevent the majority from learning in peace and in safety.
“Some teachers feel unsafe. Many feel unsupported. The SNP’s naive and weak approach fails absolutely everyone.”
The Scottish government said the new guidance had been developed with input from headteachers, teaching unions, local government and educational psychologists.
Mr Findlay said it was “complicated and confusing”, branding it “49 pages of tedious, hand-wringing nonsense”.
He also criticised some of the suggested measures, including giving “violent pupils laminated bullet points, telling them to think about their behaviour”, and tackling unsafe behaviour by having “a conversation to jointly problem solve with the child”.
Mr Findlay added: “And it also says that disruptive pupils should be allowed to leave class two minutes early, which to me sounds like a reward rather than a…

