President Donald Trump said he cancelled strikes on Iran planned for Tuesday, once again citing progress towards a deal to end the war that has stalled since negotiations began.
Trump’s Monday announcement on Truth Social came a day after he warned Iran to “get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.” The President said the leaders of several Gulf countries had requested that he “hold off on our planned Military attack” because “serious negotiations are now taking place” and “a Deal will be made.”
Still, Trump issued an additional warning: “We will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed [the U.S. military] to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”
Trump’s reversal may feel familiar. The President has on multiple occasions since the U.S. and Israel launched the war against Iran on Feb. 28 suggested that the war is nearing its end while also threatening further attacks on Iran. The U.S.-Iran cease-fire, which took effect on April 8, appeared to be on shaky ground in recent days, after Trump rejected the Iranians’ counter to a U.S. proposal for a framework agreement for a longer-lasting peace.
Iran submitted a revised 14-point proposal to Pakistani mediators on Monday, Iranian state-linked media reported. It’s unclear whether the new proposal resolves key differences between the U.S. and Iranian negotiators, including disagreements around Iran’s nuclear program and the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian state media previously said Iran seeks relief from U.S. economic sanctions, continued control of the Strait, and a cessation of Israeli hostilities in Lebanon, while the U.S….

