EXCLUSIVE – Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas says that “family was really the only consideration” in his decision not to seek the presidency in the upcoming 2024 White House race.
“This is not the right time for our family for me to commit to a six-to-seven day a week campaign for the next two years,” Cotton told Fox News in his first interview since the news broke on Sunday that the senator from Arkansas took himself out of the running for 2024 GOP presidential nomination.
Cotton, a rising star in the GOP and Army veteran who served in combat in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, had been reaching out to donors, supporters and aides in recent days to inform them that he would not launch a presidential campaign. Cotton’s news, first reported by Politico and confirmed by Fox News, makes him the first major potential Republican 2024 White House contender to announce they are stepping aside.
The 45-year-old senator and his wife Anna are the parents of two young boys.
COTTON TAKES HIMSELF OUT OF THE 2024 RUNNING
“My boys are age seven and five. They’re old enough to know that dad’s gone and be sad about it but not old enough to understand the purpose and why it all matters and why the sacrifice is worth it,” Cotton explained. “I am pretty sure Republican voters can find another nominee, but I know that my sons can’t find another dad for the next two years.”
Additionally, the senator noted that “over the next two years my seven-year-old will learn to hit the fastball and my five-year-old will learn to read, and I want to be there to teach them both.”
However, Cotton is leaving the door wide open to a future White House run, emphasizing “this is a decision only about this 2024 race and this time for my family. We’ll make a decision about future races in the…
Source : foxnews